Are you looking to use a leading 3rd-party disk backup with deduplication system in your existing Symantec NetBackup (NBU) environment to eliminate tape and get faster backups and restores and more efficient offsite DR? This blog post explains how you can get the best from your NetBackup environment–taking advantage of advanced features like Symantec OST and Optimized Synthetics–while also easily backing up data from other backup applications or utilities.
Using a Symantec OpenStorage (OST) enabled ExaGrid appliance and NetBackup together allows you to take advantage of several benefits of the combined ExaGrid-NetBackup solution, which are highlighted below and described in more detail in our new “Best Practices Guide: Symantec NetBackup with ExaGrid Disk Backup with Deduplication” Among the highlights:
- Unified Control and Tracking is available since NetBackup tracks all copies of backup data including copies replicated to disaster recovery sites, the NBU catalog and tape copies via the NetBackup interface.
- Simplified Disaster Recovery with the ability to recover replicated backup data from an offsite ExaGrid appliance from within the NetBackup console.
- Flexible Storage Lifecycle Policies allow different data retention at local sites versus off-site disaster recovery locations by leveraging the unique ExaGrid architecture.
- Optimized Synthetics Support allows switching backup strategy to use fast, resource-friendly daily differential incremental backups plus a fast, resource-friendly daily optimized synthetic full backup, without requiring large amounts of backup data movement around the network.
- Support for Heterogeneous Environments: ExaGrid appliances support CIFS for Windows and NFS for Linux and UNIX, as well as most major backup applications and specialized tools and utilities including Veeam Backup and Replication, Quest vRanger, Lightspeed, Redgate, SQLSafe, SQL Dumps, Oracle RMAN dumps, VMware backup, and direct UNIX TAR files.
ExaGrid’s GRID architecture also allows you to scale as data grows with no costly forklift upgrades, and the grid allows Symantec NetBackup customers to mix-and-match apliances of different sizes–and even different product generations–in the same grid. The 3-year total system cost with ExaGrid can be as much as 50% less than other disk backup systems with a single-controller/disk-shelf architecture that require rip-and-replace forklift upgrades when they reach capacity limits.
Symantec NetBackup customers, backup administrators, partners and others who are interested in configuration, backup best practices and recommended settings for using an ExaGrid appliance in conjunction with Symantec NetBackup can check out our Symantec NetBackup Resource page, or click here to get a copy of the guide.
If you would like budgetary pricing on an ExaGrid disk backup system from ExaGrid or a local reseller, click the link below.