The use of primary storage as a backup target adds tremendous cost and complexity of protecting the databases that you manage. While built-in database tools for Oracle and SQL provide the basic capability to backup and recover these mission-critical databases, most administrators use standard primary storage to hold additional database backups. ExaGrid eliminates the need for expensive primary storage for database backups without affecting the ability to use familiar built-in database protection tools.
Database administrators must rely on their organization’s backup policies and procedures to ensure that the databases they manage can be recovered in the event they are corrupted or lost. This often involves some compromises, including:
- Loss of productivity to run disruptive backup agents on your production database servers
- Extra cost from allocating expensive primary storage as a “dump” area for temporary backups
- Financial loss and longer downtime due to relying on tape for restore of critical databases
- Loss of data by relying on unreliable tape to store all historic copies of the database backups
- Long recovery times in the event of a disaster as the off-site backups are also stored on tape
Adding an ExaGrid disk-based backup appliance allows database administrators to gain control over their data protection needs, at lower cost and with lower complexity without affecting the ability to use familiar built-in database protection tools.
You can download a copy of the Solution Brief from our Oracle RMAN page.